Monday, August 24, 2009

Time Flies When You are Having Fun!

I don't know if it is the daily grind, all the activities, or the speed at which we all live, but I was reminded today of how fast time flies by. In just one year I feel like my kids have all grown so much. I find myself starring at them asleep at night wondering if I have done everything to savor the moments of that day. I really wish life worked on DVR so we could go back to a specific moment and cherish it all over again or simply watch it to remember each detail as clearly as it seemed while it was happening. All to often I find myself trying to recount a story from early in the day and already the clear details have faded to blurry. As we were headed to Parker's M.R.I.'s today it suddenly hit me that the ones last year didn't go as planned. I instantly started to get anxious, all I wanted was for everything to go smoothly and quickly so that Parker could get to school and not miss his project presentation. When we got to the radiology center they asked a million questions like always and I found myself digging in my memory bank for the proper answers. At that point I found my self even more nervous. Parker's test last summer took twice as long as normal because he couldn't lay still and subsequently had to be rescheduled to be done with sedation. What if that was going to happen today as well, what if he was going to have to miss yet another day of school and have more drugs put in his little body? Then like the mature 10 year old he has become, he turned to the tech and me and said I got this. Instantly I felt better, he did have this. It has been a whole year and he has grown up so much. Like a champ he popped up on to the table and announced that he was ready. Mitch, the tech, and I all laughed and proceeded out of the room and the vault like door was closed and locked. I said a quick prayer and off to the waiting room we went. Mitch and I sat by talking and chatting about the kids and reconnecting with each other, yes it is sad but it was kind of like a date. An hour or so later the vault door opened and up popped Parker with a huge smile painted on his face. A smile of pure pride and victory. At that moment it became clear that so much had changed in just a year, here was my baby soaring over another obstacle in his life and doing it with such determination. The tech was so impressed, he said that he got perfect images and that there was no way that the doctors would have any problems reading them. I was so proud but at the same time I couldn't help but think about the fact that everything is going so fast. It seems like just yesterday I was listening to his heart beat on the sonogram and now my first born stands to my shoulders. I am sure that there are many things in the past and in the future that will come and go without a second thought but I will always have the memories of the big picture. The memories of God placing these three tiny people in my life and allowing me to be by their sides as they grow and prosper and for that I am extremely blessed.

2 comments:

  1. You are a just as much a blessing to your children as they are to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a beautiful post. I definitely teared up in class, thanks.

    ReplyDelete